Don’t you just love the expressive and tantalizing eyes of those anime characters? I’m sure you’ve always wanted to achieve the same look whether you’re cosplaying or attending a party. Eyes are said to be the windows to the soul which is probably the reason cosplayers take a lot of time perfecting their eye makeup.
Cosplay is not just about wearing a wig, spandex costume, and weapon. Makeup plays an important role in fully completing your cosplay look. When it comes to cosplay makeup, many fixate on the eyes, especially if they are trying to imitate anime eyes in order to bring them to life. So, if you want to get that perfect cosplay eye makeup, here are some tips on how to apply eyeliner and other eye makeup tips.
Different Kinds of Eyeliner
Pencil Eye Liner
A pencil liner is a kind of eyeliner that is usually made of oils, silicones, and waxes. If you are a newbie to putting this eye cosmetic, then this will be perfect for you. They are much easier to apply compared to other eyeliners. A pencil eye liner can create a classic and natural-looking line and is also a good tool for making fake freckles.
How To Apply Pencil Liners
Most people love applying pencil liners to their waterline to enhance the appearance of their eyes. Softly pull up your lower lid using your ring finger. Then swipe the pencil liner just above your lash line from the outside edge to the inner corner of the eye. Fill the gaps as you are doing it. This will create a light, clean and natural look. You can repeat the process on the upper waterline if you prefer more definition or for a more dramatic effect.
The liquid eyeliner is normally applied with a sharp pointy brush. This opaque liquid is often packed in a little bottle. It gives a much thicker and fuller appearance and is normally applied to the upper lash line.
How to Apply Liquid Liners
There are many ways to wear liquid eyeliner but this type is best used when creating a winged-line effect. Whether you are an expert or not, the best way to do a winged eyeliner is to put an inch-wide piece of tape below your bottom lashes. Create a slant line according to how you want your winged eyeliner to look. Then, trace sideways from the tip of your lash line trailing the border of the tape to create a sharp wing. Let the liquid liner dry first before you remove the tape and you now have a gorgeous winged eye look.
This type of liner often comes in a pot and is applied with a brush or wand. You can control it more if you have a thinner brush. It is a long-lasting liner and is perfect for bolder or cat-eye looks.
How To Apply Gel Liners
Start by dipping the brush into the gel liner. Just put the right amount and remove the excess. To make a cat-eye look, begin from the outer corner of your eye and draw a line out. Next is to draw a line up from the middle to link to the end from the first line. Softly fill in the triangle shape you have created. Repeat the process on the other eye for a cat-eye effect.
How To Recreate Anime Eyes For Cosplay Makeup
Now that you already have an idea of the different types of eyeliners and how to apply them, it’s time to learn how to use that knowledge in recreating anime eyes for your next cosplay character.
What you’ll need:
- Eyebrow Pencil
- False Eyelashes
- Eyelash Curler
- Contact Lens
If you need to change your eye color, be sure to get the right colored contact lens. Before you start with your eye makeup, always wear your preferred colored contact lens first. Once you have worn your contact lens, it’s time to work on your eyebrow. There are two ways you can cover your eyebrows – by using a concealer or by using the glue stick method. But if you’re a beginner and want to play it safe, just use the concealer.
Get your concealer and cover your eyebrows with it. Be sure to cover the entire brows and blend it well. If you are eyeing a more innocent look, draw your brows straight with an eyebrow pencil and avoid high-arched brows, unless you’re going for a different look.
Using eye shadow, draw a crease and shade over your nose. After that, darken the shadow crease on your eyes. Now, get your eyeliner and darken the shadow crease to create a deeper crease. Add a black eye shadow and blend it with the eyeliner well. Once they are blended well, apply white eyeshadow on your eyelid as well as under the lash line. To make your eyes bigger, apply a brown shadow below the white shadows on your lash line.
Line your eye with black eyeliner and also along with the shadow below. To fade out the eyeliner, you can apply eyeshadow on it. Don’t forget to also apply eyeliner along your waterline. Next, get your eyelash curler and curl your lashes. After curling your lashes, you can now apply mascara to them. Now, it’s time to put on the false lashes and the bottom false lashes. Repeat the process on your other eye and that’s it. You now have your anime eye make up.
Things To Remember
- Concealers are not used to hide your eyebrows but they can also be used if you want to brighten the area surrounding your eyes and eyelids. Some cosplayers also use a concealing stick to give an illusion of a bigger eye.
- When using eyeliners, it’s best to practice making the shape of your eyes first. Try using different types of eyeliners and find out which type you are more comfortable with. To imitate anime eyes and make them look bigger, use white or beige liners on your waterline.
- Be sure to use waterproof eyeliners if you’re using black color so it will not smudge, especially if you will wear a wig since there’s a chance you’ll sweat a lot. Also if the area will be outdoors with no proper air-conditioning, make sure your makeup is waterproof.
- To get the illusion of bigger eyes, false eyelashes will help you create that. If you want to add more volume and an illusion of longer lashes, you can place individual lashes on the outer part of your eyes. Adding bottom lashes can also make your eyes bigger as you add a new lower eyelid.
- Similar to waterproof eyeliners, you also need to use waterproof mascara to prevent it from smudging, especially if the event will last the whole day. To make your lashes look thicker, you can use a primer first for your mascara. Also, when using false lashes, you can use your mascara to blend the false eyelashes with your natural lashes.
Cosplay Makeup Tips
- Before applying any makeup, make sure you prepare your skin by ensuring that your face is clean. Wash it with your favorite facial wash to remove oil, dirt, and other impurities. After rinsing, apply moisturizer to make your skin smooth and spray on a primer to improve the staying power of your makeup.
- Foundations and concealers are used to make the skin flawless. However, be sure to use the right shade of foundation for your skin tone. Aside from that, make sure the formula is suitable for your skin type. If you have dry skin, go for a liquid foundation. For those with oily skin, powder foundation is recommended as it helps reduce shine and won’t clog pores. You can use a sponge to blend them well.
- Use contouring and highlighting makeup if your character has chiseled cheekbones, an extra-slim nose, or a defined jawline. Highlighters can add luminosity and shine which can be useful if you’re aiming for fantasy cosplays.
- For defined and more intense eyes, use a liquid liner or a pencil liner. Just be careful with using these as you don’t want to use too much liner for your cosplay makeup when it is not necessary. Pencil liners are great for getting that smoky effect or if you want to make your eyes pop.
- Don’t forget to prime your lashes first before applying mascara. False lashes can add volume and make your eyes look more awake.
- For eyeshadows, be sure to have different shades available – from light, neutral to dark. Try to learn the different ways of applying eyeshadow correctly. Cosplay makeup typically requires layering, so you also need to learn about blending the eyeshadow.
- Eyebrows can make a big difference in your overall look. If you almost have the same brows as the anime character you are trying to imitate, then there’s no need to put a lot of effort into your them. However, be sure they are well defined and groomed. While you can always leave your brows as they are and just edit them with Photoshop so they’ll look good on photos, I recommend learning how to do your eyebrows to improve your cosplay makeup skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you conceal your lips for cosplay?
You can conceal your lips for cosplay by using nude color lipsticks or flesh-tone lipsticks. You may apply more or less, depending on the opacity and the coverage that you want. Use a lighter application on the center of the lip and then blend it lightly with your finger. After that, top the lipstick with powder for an extra matte effect. You can also use foundation and powder to conceal your lips but this may tend to dry your lips out.
Dressing up for cosplays is fun. However, it takes more than just costumes and wigs to stand out to copy your favorite character. Your cosplay makeup can make a big difference in your final look. If you want to improve your cosplay makeup skills, the key is to practice first before the main event. How you do your makeup can make a big difference in your final look.