Are you in the market for a reliable paddleboard? Well, the Vilano Journey inflatable stand up paddle board is an excellent choice if you are just a beginner in this new venture. There’s a check mark for every feature such as sturdy, reliable and complete. Indeed, it is a worthy investment for starters.
While it’s beginner-friendly however, you can rely on the Vilano Journey to be your companion for most of your outdoor adventures on the water. With this as your first paddleboard, you are getting a complete package and so there’s really no need to buy anything else! If this paddle board captures your attention, here’s a complete review for you to digest.
- Rigid & Durable: It feels very similar to a hard board. The board is made of high grade PVC material with Korean Drop-Stitch construction and built to last.
- Inflatable & Portable: Deflated it's only 1 foot in diameter by 36"
- Deck Features: Comfort diamond groove traction for grip,11 stainless D-Rings and bungee on front deck for storage.
- Warranty: 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty covers workmanship and material.
- Complete Package: Board, Pump with Integrated Pressure Gauge, 3-Piece Aluminum Paddle, Removable Shoulder Strap, Leash, Action Camera Mount and Float, Mini Dry Bag, and Backpack
Vilano Journey Paddle Board
The Vilano Journey inflatable paddle board is actually a product of Vilano Bikes, a trusted producer of bicycles today. It was founded by three friends – Mike, Brian, and Suzana. All three founders have a love for the outdoors and they decided to translate that love into a business, the company having been started in 2012. They started with the bikes and all the accessories that come with it. So how did they get to producing inflatable standup paddleboards? The Vilano Journey is actually one of the new additions to the company’s product roster – the model taking years of development before eventually being released in the market. Judging by the company’s excellent reputation when it comes to bicycles, it’s not surprising that the Vilano Journey has garnered a loyal following of users.
A Quick Overview of the Vilano Journey Paddle Board
Measuring 10 feet by 31.5 inches by 6 inches, the Vilano Journey iSUP is one of the more convenient products out in the market today. It has a sleek and eye-catching design that seems to just blend perfectly with a water environment. When inflated, it weighs just 25 pounds – making it very convenient to carry around with you outdoors. Perfect for different kinds of water situations, the paddleboard comes with a single detachable fin that glides beautifully and allows for convenient steering.
Features of the Vilano Journey Paddle Board
Figuring out what the product can do for you? Here are some of the features of this product.
Rigid and Durable
When fully inflated, the Vilano Journey feels very much like a hard paddleboard but lighter. This isn’t surprising since the material is made of high-quality PVC and sewn together with Korean Drop-Stitch construction. This guarantees that the product will be durable, sturdy, and long-lasting. No need to worry about the paddleboard sinking under your feet because with the right amount of air, it is going to feel every bit like a hard board.
The deck is built with a diamond traction surface that creates a firm and perfect grip for its user. Combined with the hard flooring – this creates a suitably safe surface that lets you stay on the board even in rougher waters. The diamond groove has been tested and proven to be the best possible surface design for secure traction – all while keeping your feet padded and comfortable. With this design, you can stay on the board for most of the day without hurting your feet.
The paddle board comes with multiple d-rings to help with the attachment of your various tools and strings. It even comes with a handy bungee that lets you bring extra items on board! The additional accessories work well for a kayak seat, cooler, leash, or basically anything you’ll need for an adventure.
The great thing about the Vilano Journey inflatable stand up paddle board is the fact that it comes with everything you need for an adventure on the sea. The board comes with a built-in pressure gauge, a removable shoulder strap, a mini dry bag, and even a backpack. Unlike other models you’ll find in the market today, this model also comes with a 3-piece aluminum paddle so you don’t have to buy a separate one.
Adjustable Paddle Inclusion
It’s always a great thing if your iSUP package comes with all the trimmings but the Vilano Journey package takes things a step further. It doesn’t just include a paddle but the paddle itself is made of quality materials with a length that can be adjusted to specifications. It can go from 65.5 inches to as long as 86 inches, making it ideal for individuals of varying heights.
The detachable fin is a marvel of engineering, allowing you to quickly and deftly glide over the water without any issues. The length of the paddle board is just right for the more complicated turns on the water. Once one finds balance on the Journey, beginners shouldn’t have any problem getting used to controlling and cruising on this board.
Pros and Cons of the Vilano Journey iSUP
- Incredibly easy to deflate and store
The product is wonderfully easy to deflate and occupies very little space when all the air has been let out. Specifically, it measures just 36 inches by 1 foot in diameter – allowing you to conveniently fold it and put it back in its accompanying bag. If you love to hike long distances before hitting the water, the Vilano Journey would make it very easy for you thanks to the bag.
- Height is not an issue
It doesn’t matter whether you’re on the shorter side or if you’re beyond 6 feet – the Vilano Journey paddleboard and its accompanying paddle should be convenient for you to use.
- Covered by an extensive warranty
You know a product is good if the manufacturer is confident in providing it with an extensive warranty. With the Vilano Journey, the manufacturer has provided it with a 1-year warranty which includes quality of material and workmanship.
- Comes with an action camera mount and float
Another attractive feature of this product is the fact that it comes with a camera mount and float – perfect for your Go Pro attachments. If you’re the kind of person who loves to share their adventures with the world, then the Vilano Journey will make the whole process easier for you. If you just want to keep a private collection of your videos then that’s fine, too. Either way, you can confidently attach valuable camera products onto the paddle board and know that it’s going to stay there no matter how active you might get on the water.
- Product is low-maintenance
Another great thing about this model is that it doesn’t require too much work on your part. After use, just rinse it off with freshwater and allow it to dry completely before deflating and folding it into its bag. Washing the board with soap is ideal if you intend to store it for longer periods of time but other than that, the paddle board doesn’t require you to do anything special for maintenance.
- Comes with a patch and a wrench
There’s no such thing as a perfect product and the creators of Vilano happily acknowledges this. That’s why their package of the paddleboard comes with a convenient patch and valve wrench. It’s a just-in-case addition to the package that you can bring with you anywhere – making sure that any problem can be quickly addressed. This way, you never have to cut the fun time short!
- For salt and fresh water use
The Vilano Journey paddleboard is built for users who want to explore different types of water – whether it’s fresh or salt. No need to worry about the corrosive salt damaging the material because the PVC build is created specifically to withstand exposure to the environment.
- Quick and lasting inflation
Repeated use of the product shows that it can be inflated in just a few minutes or even seconds – depending on whether you’re using an electric or a manual pump. Once inflated however, the stopper guarantees that the air will not escape out quickly. This gives you the chance to inflate the paddleboard on a Monday, leave it overnight and then use it on a Tuesday without ever having to pump more air into it.
- Easy to deflate
Most people love the fact that an inflatable paddleboard is easy to inflate but what about letting all the air out when you’re ready to pack it up? Fortunately, the Vilano Journey was designed for quick deflation. No need to spend time waiting for all the air to go out just so you can fold it in your bag. Just a few minutes and it should be ready to go.
- Yes to a Kayak Seat
The multiple D-rings that come with the model means you can easily put a kayak seat in there – just in case you want to cruise the water in a more comfortable position. The D-ring can also function for multiple uses depending on what you need it to do.
- Weight limit of 240 pounds
With a weight limit of 240 pounds, the Vilano Journey isn’t a bad choice at all. If you’re on the heavier or taller side however, you might want to think twice about buying this particular product.
- Not built for two users
Due to its weight limit and dimensions, it’s not possible to load two people onto the Vilano Journey which can be a bit disappointing if you want to teach someone on how to ride a paddleboard. Still, it’s a good choice if you’re more likely to use this board solo.
- No electric pump
Note that the product doesn’t come with its own electric pump so you’ll have to buy that yourself if you don’t like the hand pump. The good news is that there’s a built-in pressure gauge so you can quickly tell if there’s enough air in there. It’s strongly advised that you inflate the board to the 15 PSI requirement and not go above or below it to make the most out of the product.
How Does the Vilano Journey Paddle Board Compare with Other Inflatable Paddleboards?
Here’s how the Vilano Journey inflatable paddle board has distinguished itself from all others of its kind in the market:
- When it comes to thickness, the Vilano Journey boasts of an excellent measurement. You will actually find paddleboard models today measuring at just 4 or 5 inches which decreases the durability and rigidity of the product. At 6 inches of thickness however, this isn’t a problem for the model.
- Next, the product is very light. Compared to other models today that weighs as much as 34 pounds – the Vilano Journey is an easy carry. It even comes with a shoulder strap, allowing you to quickly bring it with you even when inflated to its full length.
- When it comes to price, the Vilano Journey has a reasonable cost for its quality. The value is just right so that you can be sure of a quality build without putting a hole in your wallet. Compared to other inflatable paddle boards, the Vilano Journey is a much more budget-friendly choice, especially if you’re just starting with the hobby.
- When considering ease of use, the Vilano Journey ranks well with many of its competitors. You don’t need to dig deep in order to figure out exactly how to put the parts together for the first time, especially the detachable fin. Even if you’re a complete beginner, you should be able to put the parts together. This isn’t the case with other paddleboards in the market today.
- When comparing the different add-ons, it’s good to know that the creators of the Vilano Journey took convenience into consideration. The multiple D-rings, the bungee rope, and the camera mount all work together in order to give the user a better experience of the board. Most paddleboards today are plain and simple without the extra accessories that actually promote the use of the product.
Verdict - Final Thoughts!
To wrap it up, the Vilano Journey inflatable paddle board is a great choice for beginners and intermediate users alike. If you love outdoor sports but just don’t have the space for storage of a hard board in your home, this is the product you want to have. Really, who needs a large truck if you can bring this handy board even with a motorcycle, a small car, or even a bike?